The earliest reference to the appearance of the Pasha is from Diamonds and Precious Stones, Dieulafait (1876). This document was used to determine the facet pattern, and Precious Stones, M. Bauer (1968), provided dimensions. The former book shows a drawing of an octagonal stone weighing 40 carats. Although once owned by Barbara Hutton, the Woolworth heiress, and King Farouk of Egypt, there is no other reference to it in the octagonal form. Unfortunately, Hutton did not like the shape, and had the only octagonal historic diamond recut to a 36 carat round stone.